"Treat others the way you would like to be treated yourself."

How does Christ the King identify if children need extra help?

We identify pupils who need help if:

  • Concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers, teaching assistants or the pupil’s previous school;
  • There is a change in the pupil’s behaviour;
  • Through regular meetings each half term with the class teacher and SLT (senior leadership team);
  • The class teachers, SENCo and Deputy Head to review the progress of every child from Insight Data and decide if sufficient progress has been made each half term;
  • If required, additional support is allocated to that child either in class or in booster sessions and is then reviewed at the next meeting to ensure progress has been made;
  • Education Health Care Plan and Pupil Funding Advice from external agencies are followed.

What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

If you have concerns then your first contact should be your child’s teacher and then the SENCo.

How will I know how Christ the King Catholic Primary School will support my child?

Class teachers are responsible for:

  • Ensuring that all children have access to good/outstanding teaching and that the curriculum is adapted to meet your child’s individual needs (also known as First Quality Teaching);
  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support, adapting resources etc..) and  discussing amendments with the SENCo as necessary;
  • Writing Individual Provision Maps (IPM) and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term;
  • Ensuring that all members of staff working with your child in school are aware of your child’s individual needs and/or conditions and what specific adjustments need to be made to enable them to be included and make progress;
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are supported in delivering the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources;
  • Ensuring that the school’s Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND.

The SENCo is responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with SEND, and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Ensuring that you are:
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning;
    • kept informed about the support your child is receiving;
    • involved in reviewing how they are progressing;
    • fully involved planning ahead for them.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming into school to help support your child’s learning e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology etc...
  • Updating the school’s SEND record of need, (a system for ensuring all the special educational, physical and sensory needs of pupils in this school are known and understood) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs;
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help your child (and other pupils with SEN and/or disabilities in the school) to achieve their potential;
  • Supporting your child’s class teacher to write Individual Provision Maps (IPM) and One Page Profiles (OPP) that specify the targets set for your child to achieve and the best way they learn;
  • Organising training for staff so they are aware and confident about how to meet the needs of your child and others within our school.

The SEND Governor will be responsible for:

  • Making sure that the school has an up to date SEND Policy;
  • Making sure that the school has appropriate provision and has made necessary adaptations to meet the needs of all children in the school;
  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEN and/or disabilities;
  • Making visits to understand and monitor the support given to children with SEND in the school and being part of the process to ensure your child achieves his/her potential in school.

What support does Christ the King Catholic Primary School offer children on the SEND register?

  • If a pupil has needs related to more specific areas of their education, such as spelling, handwriting, numeracy & literacy skills etc. then the pupil will be placed in a small focus group. This will be run by the teacher or teaching assistant. The length of time of the intervention will vary according to need but will generally be for a term. The interventions will be regularly reviewed by all involved to ascertain the effectiveness of the provision and to inform future planning;
  • These interventions will be recorded on the pupil’s individual provision map (this is a record of the interventions, timings and impact of the intervention), a copy of which will be sent home each term. If you have any queries related to the interventions please do not hesitate to contact the class teacher or SENCo;
  • In addition to interventions during the school day, Christ the King Primary School offers focused teaching of Literacy and Numeracy outside of their usual classroom time for children who are significantly below before or after school;
  • Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with members of the Senior Leadership Team to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned which will be discussed and implemented by the SENCo;
  • Sometimes children need to be referred to outside agencies for further assessment  we work closely with the Educational Psychologist, Speech And Language Therapist (SALT), Occupational Therapist (OT), Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC team) and Paediatricians. Referral forms are then completed in conjunction with parents/carers and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers;
  • When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily;
  • Teaching Assistants may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1-1 or small focus group to target more specific needs;
  • If appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors.

How will I know how my child is doing?

  • You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents Evenings with their class teacher;
  • Appointments will be made each term for you to speak in more detail to the SENCo and Headteacher.

How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

  • The SENCo may meet with you to discuss how to support your child;
  • The class teacher will meet with you to discuss strategies to use if there are problems with a child’s behaviour/emotional needs;
  • If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and programmes of study are normally provided that can be used at home.

Student Login